the requisite training course…, the period of probation may be
extended by such period or periods as may be necessary, subject to the
condition that the total period of probation does not exceed double the
prescribed period of probation
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, PG and Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
Dated: 5th October, 2017
Subject: Extension of probation period on account of availing Leave during probation period.
The undersigned is directed to refer to this Department’s O.M No. 28020/1/2010-Estt(C) dated 21st July 2014 wherein consolidated instructions on Probation/ Confirmation in Central Services were issued for ready reference to all concerned. As per extant instructions “ if during the period of probation, a probationer has not undergone the requisite training course…, the period of probation may be extended by such period or periods as may be necessary, subject to the condition that the total period of probation does not exceed double the prescribed period of probation.
2. This has been examined in the view that some employees are not able to complete the probation on account of availing leave for long duration during probation period. It has been decided that in such cases if an employee does not complete 75% of the total duration prescribed for probation on account of availing any kind of leave as permissible to a probationer under the Rules, his/ her probation period may be extended by the length of the Leave availed, but not exceeding double the prescribed period of probation.
3. So far as persons serving in the Indian Audit & Accounts Departments are concerned, these orders are being issued after consultation with the C&AG of India.
Deputy Secretary to the Government of India
All Ministries/ Departments of Government of India.
(As per the standard list)
l. The President’s Secretariat, New Delhi
2. The Vice- President’s Secretariat, New Delhi
3. The Prime Minister’s Office, New Delhi 1
4. The Cabinet Secretariat, New Delhi
5. The Rajya Sabha Secretariat, New Delhi
6. The Lok Sabha Secretariat, New Delhi
7. The Controller and Auditor General of India, New Delhi
8. The Secretary, Union Public Service Commission J
9. The Secretary, Staff Selection Commission 5
10. All Attached offices under the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions i
11. All Officers and Section in the Department of Personnel & Training
12. NIC for uploading on the website under OM’s / Orders -*Establishment –
*Probation/confirmation; and ‘What’s New’.
13. Hindi Section for Hindi version.