‘Equal Pay for Equal Work’ : DPE O.M. on compliance with Hon’ble Supreme Court Judgments
No.W-02/0038/2019-DPE (WC)-GL- XVIII/19
Government of India
Ministry of Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises
Department of Public
Public Enterprises Bhawan,
Block No.14, CGO Complex,
Lodhi Road, New
Dated, the 13t1i September, 2019
Subject:- ‘Equal pay for Equal work’ for Casual Workers: Compliance with Hon’ble Courts’ Judgments thereon-reg.
On the above subject, the undersigned is directed to refer to various instructions issued by the Hon’ble Supreme Court and also to the DOPT’s OM dated 49014/1/2017-Estt.(C) pt. dated 04th September, 2019.
2. The following provisions are hereby extended to casual worker/daily wager employed by Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs):
i. Where the nature of work entrusted to the casual workers and regular employees is the same, the casual workers may be paid at the rate of 1/30th of the pay at the minimum of’ the relevant pay scale plus dearness allowance for work of 8 hours a day .
ii. In cases where the work done by a casual worker is different from the work done by a regular employee, the casual worker may be paid only the minimum wages notified by the Ministry of Labour & Employment or the state Government/Union Territory Administration, whichever is higher as per the Minimum Wage Act, 1948.
iii. Persons on daily wages (casual workers) should not be recruited for work of regular nature.
3. All CEOs of CPSEs and administrative Ministries/Departments are requested to ensure strict compliance of the above provisions.
All administrative Ministries/ Departments of the Government of India.
1. The Chief Executives of Central Public Sector Enterprises.
2. The Comptroller & Auditor General of India, 9, Deen Dayal Upadhayay Marg, New Delhi.
3 . Financial Advisers in the Administrative Ministries.
4. Department of Expenditure, E-III-A, Branch , North Block, New Delhi.
5. Departn1ent of Personnel & Training-, , North Block, New .Delhi.
6. Ministry of Labour & Employment, Sharam Shakti Bhawan , Rafi Marg, New Delhi.
7. NIC, DPE with the request to upload this OM on the DP
Source: Dept. of Public Enterprises