Reservation in Kendriya Vidyalayas – Loksabha Q&A
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT
DEPARTMENT OF SCHOOL EDUCATION & LITERACY
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO.126
ANSWERED ON 18.11.2019
RESERVATION IN KENDRIYA VIDYALAYAS
†126. SHRI GANESH SINGH:
Will the Minister of HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT be pleased to state:
(a) whether the Government is aware that the children of persons belonging to OBC- non-creamy layer have not been provided the determined reservation in admission to Kendriya Vidyalayas and if so, the basis on which the guidelines issued by Kendriya Vidyalayas have sought for the latest certificate of OBC mentioning the OBC-non-creamy layer;
(b) the reasons for inclusion of OBC column in the diary provided by the Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan to school children if the children of persons belonging to Other Backward Castes are not being provided the determined reservation in admissions to Kendriya Vidyalaya and Navodaya Vidyalaya contains the OBC column; and
(c) whether the Government will consider giving the determined reservation to the children of persons belonging to Other Backward Castes admissions to Kendriya Vidyalaya and Navodaya Vidyalaya and if so, the time by which the same will be done and if not, the basis on which reservation is being provided to other categories?
MINISTER OF HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT
(SHRI RAMESH POKHRIYAL ‘NISHANK’)
(a) & (b) As far as Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) is concerned, 10 seats (out of 40 seats) in class I per section are to be filled as per Right to Education Act Provisions (25% of seats) and these 10 seats will be filled by draw of lots from all applications of SC/ST/EWS/BPL/OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) who are the resident of Neighbourhood/Differently abled taken together. Kendriya Vidyalayas (KVs) asks for the latest certificate of OBC mentioning the OBC-non-creamy layer at the time of admission for the above mentioned purpose.
The basic details of all category students including OBC category are taken in the school diary for school records and providing information whenever required.
Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti (NVS) has following reservation policy:-
- At least 75% of the seats in a district are filled by candidates selected from rural areas and remaining seats are filled from urban areas of the district.
- Reservation of seats in favour of children belonging to Scheduled Casts and Scheduled Tribes is provided in proportion to their proportion to their population in the district concerned provided that in none of the district, such reservation will be less than the national average (15% for SC and 7.5% for ST) but subject to maximum of 50% for both the categories (SC & ST) taken together. These reservations are interchangeable and over and above the candidates selected under open merit.
- Minimum One third of the total seats are filled by girls
- There is a provision for reservation for Divyang children (i.e. Orthopedically Handicapped, Hearing Impaired and Visually Handicapped) as per Government of India norms.
- The OBC column has been included in the JNV Selection Test proforma for maintaining records and to provide information to Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) on need basis.
(c) The matter is under active consideration of the Government.